Sunday 18 January 2009

Of birthdays and such

This week was my 'birthday week'. I reached the grand old age of 34 on Monday, the 'glorious twelfth' (except it wasn't that glorious, it was rather damp, cold and grey, but still). I shared my birthday with my grandad, until he died a few years ago, and it still feels quite odd to have it all to myself.

I had about as good a birthday as you can have on a wet, grey, cold January Monday when you're at work. I'd made a chocolate cake to take to work, and was very touched to find a colleague had also made me one, complete with giant chocolate buttons and edible glitter!
The rest of the week has been busy at work - so much for a quiet start to the year - but I'd rather be busy and employed than not. I screwed up my courage on Tuesday and went along to a bowling league night and joined in. Once I'd done it I had the biggest grin on my face all evening. The people I met were so welcoming, unusually so, and I can't wait to go back this week for more.
Had a couple of late-ish nights at work, but not too bad, and necessary. Also had beers & curry - which are generally welcome - on Friday night. Went to the cinema yesterday - initially to see 'The Reader' but we were foiled as the showing we were aiming for didn't actually exist, so we plumped for 'Slumdog Millionaire' instead, which was brilliant. I nearly applauded when it ended, which doesn't happen often at all. I could quite happily see it again very soon, and indeed might just do that if my brother fancies seeing it when he comes over next weekend.
Sunday lunch, dvd & knitting at a friend's house today which was lovely.
So a busy birthday week all in all. Even better, I have managed to maintain progress on Project 365 with at least one photo every day, an aim aided by the fact that I invested in a new toy last weekend, a Nikon 360 dslr...oops. I'm enjoying playing with it so far, but have also booked to attend a workshop in early March to learn how to use it and am looking forward to that very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment